Downtown Albuquerque is not only a great place to stay, but also a fantastic place to shop and dine – especially if you love the thought of buying local. Opportunities abound for supporting the local community, being a more ‘green’ consumer and filling your body with fresh, seasonal, locally grown food.
By frequenting locally-owned businesses, you help to keep the community unique, with a flavor and flair all its own. You are also able to find one-of-a-kind gifts and mementos, not to mention having distinctive and intimate experiences that big businesses just can’t offer.
Another benefit to buying local is the reduction of harm to the environment. Dining, shopping and staying locally cuts down on the processing, packaging and transportation required to being non-local items to shelves and tables.
Ideas for local Albuquerque fun, shopping, dining and lodging experiences include:
- The Rail Yards Market – On a mission to preserve the legacy of a historic downtown neighborhood, this community-organized market offers food, music and art for the whole family every Sunday from May to October
- The Grower’s Market off of Route 66 in downtown Albuquerque – you can find your favorite fruits and vegetables there April through November
- Historic Nob Hill – A mile-long stretch along Central Avenue, this is an area where you can find unique stores, family-owned restaurants, and vibrant night life
- Green Jeans Farmery – Repurposed shipping containers hold a myriad of restaurants, shops, and bars in this plaza designed for both indoor and outdoor fun
- Aerial adventures – Albuquerque is the ballooning capital of the world, and hosts the largest annual balloon festival in the world each October. It is also home to the Aerial Tramway, a thrilling ride that brings you to the top of the Sandia Mountains
- Simms Fitness – A fun and full-service gym located in the heart of downtown Albuquerque, it offers both drop-in rates and a variety of membership contracts. It’s open 7 days a week, with an extensive menu of yoga, circuit and cardio classes.
- Bed & Breakfasts – Fresh, homemade breakfasts, better service, distinctive rooms, and tailored experiences are but a few of the benefits of staying at a locally owned B&B.